Belly Dance Instruction for Beginning, Intermediate and Performing Professional Belly Dancers
If you’re looking for student friendly belly dance DVD lessons that are easy to understand, help you connect the dots based on a curriculum designed to give you the creative freedom t o create a style of your own, then the Hip Phylosophy collection of belly dance instructional DVDs are for you.
As far as DVDs and videos are concerned I think they are the best and most user friendly ones I’ve ever come across. Tania from South Africa.
As of 2008 we had produced one DVD and had wanted to produce additional titles, but the cost of a full blown production effort was prohibitive. It was then that we decided to brave and invest in the world of video self production and have since produced a library of close to 40 unique and individual titles.
Easy to Understand & Connecting the Dots
Leyla’s unique style which has been tailored for specifically teaching her Hip Phylosophy curriculum online. She takes the time not only to show you the moves and combinations but she also demonstrates them from the front, back as well as the sides, explaining the nuances of each and breaking them down in the process.
After all the wasted money spent on worthless videos that promise to teach how to break down the moves and then use them in choreography. Until now, I had given up hope of finding such a thing. Suzie Gibbs from New Jersey.
Written Class Text
As a learning aid many DVD titles as well come with class text documenting the specific moves and combinations, so you can download, print, and then study before, use during, or after each class.
All individual titles are uniformly priced at $19.95 plus shipping and handling. We ship standard USPS on all domestic orders and standard shipping for international orders. Expect it to take 5 to 7 days to receive your order.
A good number of the forty titles have been grouped into multiple title collections by design. We have also created ad-hoc logical collections that we put together and offer from time to time. For example we may add “Shimmy Galore” to the Choreography collection. Collections are a great choice because we can offer them at a discount and provides added instructional value for you!
Collections of Belly Dance DVD Lessons (click on the title for details)
- Hip Mastery is a 6 DVD collection that connects the dots between sharps, softs, sharps and softs, layering, traveling steps and shimmies.
- Belly Dance Training From Home: A 5 day training regimen for intermediate dancers to help you answer the question; “What should I be working on next?”
- Opposition Hips: A 3 DVD set that will help you build core strength across your entire body, develop balance & help improve muscle memory.
- Choreography Collection: A 3 DVD set gives you the knowledge and skills so you can have the creative freedom to develop your own choreography’s.
- Beginning Belly Dance Collection: A 4 DVD collection for anyone just starting out with their journey.
- Performers Collection: A very special collection if you are thinking about or currently a performing professional belly dancer.
Belly Dance Individual Titles (not including the above collections and not in any particular order)
- Belly Dance Basics for Beginning Dancers; A 60 minute DVD not part of the beginning collection that is a mini-course for beginners.
- Hip Phylosophy: Perfect as the next DVD for beginners who have progressed through the Beginning Belly Dance DVD collection.
- Finger Cymbals Leyla Style; A great introductory DVD to finger cymbals that includes a nice demonstration.
- Choreography Help: This special 36 minute DVD that includes class text to help you get started creating choreography.
- Soft Hip Combinations w/Layering: A historic DVD that was produced as part of doing the very first every live broadcast.
- Continual Soft Moves: Perfect for performers who want a unique set of softs for restaurant and small space performing.
- Leg Extensions, Angles & Turns: Continues along with the theme of small space performing with moves that work well in restaurants.
- Introduction to Traveling Steps: For the beginning intermediate, or any dancer who wants to move beyond simple in space movement.
- 6 Combinations for Speed & Balance: 6 combinations integrating sharps and softs with drummer accompaniment.
- Traveling Steps Leyla Style: Challenger Steps and Folkloric Fan are two beautiful steps for solo or troupe choreography.
- Shimmy Galore: Leyla breaks down and takes the difficulty and mystery of developing great shimmies.
- Najla’s Inspiration on Hips & Abs: Combinations and drills for increasing the strength and flexibility of your hips & abs.
- Drum Solo Workshop: A 59 minute DVD with Leyla and drummer Issa talking live performing with drummers.
- Leyla’s Body of Work: A 32 minute collection of some of Leyla’s performances throughout the years. Often included as a free bonus.
In addition to the above titles available on DVD some titles are not available on DVD and available as an online class only.
There are many titles to choose from so you can get help on most parts of your dance. If you’re just starting out on your belly dance journey, your choice is easy. If you’re not a beginner you’ll also find video previews of each title to help you in the selection process and of course you can always call the office during normal business hours to get your questions answered.
One of the first things we did after deciding to self produce our DVDs was to commission a drummer to create three tracks of practice music. This same practice is used on all Belly Dance DVD lessons and it is offered as a free bonus for each and every purchase as a free mp3 download. Having the ability to practice to the same music Leyla uses will help you learn and internalize the moves and combinations faster and with greater ease.
Mobile Apps and our Belly Dance DVD Lessons
As technology moves on as it will inexorably do, DVDs will get buried in the technology graveyard in favor of mobile belly dance instruction. We have fully embraced mobile belly dance instruction and have already published two mobile apps on the iTunes and Google Play stores with plans to make apps available for each and every collection, except the Opposition Hips collection.
- Hip Phylosophy Mobile App Sampler; released and available on the iTunes, Google Play and Amazon app stores. Read more here.
- Beginning Belly Dance Collection – released and available on iTunes, Google Play and to be released on the Amazon app store. Read more here.
- Choreography Collection; scheduled to be release in December 2014. Read more here.
- Hip Mastery Collection; scheduled to be released in December 2014. Read more here.
- Belly Dance Village; scheduled to be released in December 2014. Read more here.
The DVD format is slowly (but surely) making it’s way to the archives of history and can’t compete with the convenience and affordability of the mobile platform and besides, when was the last time you tried to put 6 belly dance DVDs in your back pocket anyway.
Dance Like You Curriculum
Dancers have a lot of choices when it comes to buying instructional DVDs and no two teachers teach alike. Some will provide instruction designed to give you the exact instruction so you can dance like you see them dance. This is not Leyla’s style of teaching.
Leyla’s Hip Phylosophy curriculum is based on giving you ultimate creative freedom so you can create your own style. It’s a dance like you curriculum rather than a dance like me method. This type of instruction isn’t for everyone, but if you want the kind of creative freedom offered by Hip Phylosophy. But if you have a grand vision for developing your own style, then Leyla is the teacher for you.